Giles 200: Titan IO-375 Engine Scanning
Hey what happened to that Giles 200 project? Well once I figured out that I was getting a laser scanner, I put scanning the engine on hold, because making air cooled engine models with a mechanical arm is well, pretty awful. So, now that I have the laser scanner, it’s full speed ahead! I’m going to be making cooling plenums that will very nicely interface with my cowl openings, and this is one of the places where having a laser scanner is just invaluable.
The first step is to target up the engine. We decided to remove the intake and exhaust for now. Those will get scanned later – the trick we’ll be using to scan them is just sooooo cool, but you’ll have to wait a few days to see that. We hung the engine on a hoist, and again this is one of those things that I just love about this unit – With a mechanical arm, or even a laser scanner that has a fixed head unit, the engine would have to be totally stationary. With the EXAscan, we can just hang the engine on the hoist and spin it around at will. This makes scanning so much easier. Here’s a few pictures of me scanning yesterday:
Air cooled engines are definitely a challenge to scan. Since the fins are often quite thin – especially those at the base of the cylinders – the resolution must be quite fine in order to pick up that level of detail. This means the size of the file grows much larger, and applying the filters to the data takes longer. So, it’s a bit of a delicate balance between getting enough data to see the fins, but not so much that the file becomes unwieldy. There are a few different methods for dealing with projects just like this, and I’m experimenting to find the right solution. I’m pretty sure if I can scan this, I can scan anything. Here’s a screenshot of the scan – the level of detail possible is just amazing to me:
I’m hoping to get this done in the next week, so we can get the motor back up to Sonora and back on the plane, and then get some molds cutting!